IMMIGRATION NEWS THREAD:
Attorneys: Texas border facility is neglecting migrant kids (https://apnews.com/46da2dbe04f54adbb875cfbc06bbc615?utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter)
- “Lawyers warn that kids are taking care of kids, and there’s inadequate food, water and sanitation for the 250 infants, children and teens at the Border Patrol station.”
- “Three girls told attorneys they were trying to take care of the 2-year-old boy, who had wet his pants and had no diaper and was wearing a mucus-smeared shirt when the legal team encountered him.”
Lawyers claim infants, children are in dangerous situation at border detention site (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/lawyers-claim-infants-children-are-dangerous-situation-border-detention-site-n1020016)
Trump Administration Argues Migrant Children Don’t Need Soap (https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/safe-sanitary-no-soap-beds-court-migrants-trump-850744/)
Court Video: Justice Department Argues Against Providing Soap, Toothbrushes, Beds To Detained Kids (Feat. Sarah Fabian of the Justice Department’s Office of Immigration Litigation)
‘There Is a Stench’: No Soap and Overcrowding in Detention Centers for Migrant Children (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/21/us/migrant-children-border-soap.html)
- “A chaotic scene of sickness and filth is unfolding in an overcrowded border station in Clint, Tex., where hundreds of young people who have recently crossed the border are being held, according to lawyers who visited the facility this week. Some of the children have been there for nearly a month.”
- “Children as young as 7 and 8, many of them wearing clothes caked with snot and tears, are caring for infants they’ve just met, the lawyers said. Toddlers without diapers are relieving themselves in their pants. Teenage mothers are wearing clothes stained with breast milk.”
- “Most of the young detainees have not been able to shower or wash their clothes since they arrived at the facility, those who visited said. They have no access to toothbrushes, toothpaste or soap.”
- “In May, the inspector general for the Department of Homeland Security warned of “dangerous overcrowding” among adult migrants housed at the border processing center in El Paso, with up to 900 migrants being held at a facility designed for 125. In some cases, cells designed for 35 people were holding 155 people.”
- “’Border Patrol agents told us some of the detainees had been held in standing-room-only conditions for days or weeks,” the inspector general’s office said in its report, which noted that some detainees were observed standing on toilets in the cells “to make room and gain breathing space, thus limiting access to the toilets.’”
In El Paso, Border Patrol Is Detaining Migrants in ‘a Human Dog Pound’ (https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/border-patrol-outdoor-detention-migrants-el-paso/)
- “…migrants who said they’d been held outdoors for weeks as temperatures rose to nearly 100 degrees.”
Nearly 900 migrants found at Texas facility with 125-person capacity: DHS watchdog (https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/900-migrants-found-texas-facility-125-person-capacity/story?id=63404988)
Trump administration cancels English classes, soccer, legal aid for detained migrant children (https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/05/english-classes-soccer-legal-aid-cancelled-detained-migrant-children/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=1561047748&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter)
NO HUMAN BEING DESERVES TO BE TREATED THIS WAY––ESPECIALLY CHILDREN.
This concentration camp is minutes away from Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas: one of the largest U.S. Army Bases and where I used to be stationed. It was a shock to look at a map and realize just how close it really is to the base. I still recognized the damn intersections around it.
This realization comes not long after I learned that Fort Sill, once an internment camp for Japanese-Americans in WWII, has been used as a concentration camp for immigrants since the Obama administration. I trained in Fort Sill for six months during and had no knowledge of this.
They are detaining prisoners – who are dying – next door to military bases, and not even telling the soldiers stationed there. So how much do you think they’re hiding from you, the average citizen still bickering over the semantics of calling it a concentration camp?
This is absolutely sickening, I am not proud to be an American. I’m absolutely disgusted. Fuck Trump and his kangaroo Administration .